Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's worse, apparently, if the number is bigger.

My Health Visitor came to see us today. I had to ask where my councelling appointment is since it's getting harder to wait. Wednesday morning brought a bit of a meltdown and I'm really not coping very well. I had to complete a postnatal mental health questionaire.* I got a score of 25/30. This is not good. Apparently it's enough not good that our Health Visitor contacted our GP and I have to go for an appointment. This is because it requires a GP to prescribe medication. I have it on very good authority that this is the right thing to do and will get me better. I am prepared to listen to that authority.

Sadly, I have a lot of aquaintances on happy pills. It is somewhat fashionable in Dundee. I really don't want any of them thinking they know what I'm going through because we have tablets in common. Mostly because I'm not going through anything other than an overabundance of post pregnancy hormones upsetting the balance in my brain. I need help and probably tablets for a few months to get over it.

I am very miserable, very tired and very frustrated. I just want to get better.

*it's the same questions on all mental health questionaires. You might have done one. It ends with 'have you considered harming yourself (in the last week)' with the options, all, most, some of the time and never. Fun to have to underline one of those when you feel miserable.

2 comments:

Korvar The Fox said...

I am sure you will. I think this is the beginning of getting back to "normal" (a new normal, seeing as you're a new Mum!).

Tiagen Furelli said...

I hope it won't take too long. :)